20th May 2021
Discover animation with no limits or frontiers at Annecy!
A breeze of effervescence and creative daring is blowing through the programs of the Festival! Here is the content that will punctuate this 2021 edition:
The Screening Events
On Monday, June 14 at 8:30 p.m., an in-competition Japanese film will open the celebrations: Josee, The Tiger and the Fish by TAMURA Kotaro – Japan (distributed by Eurozoom).
As a prelude, the world premiere of Tomorrow’s Leaves, a hand-drawn and hand-painted animated short by Studio Ponoc, will also be presented.
- Wolfwalkers by Ross STEWART and Tomm MOORE – Ireland, Luxemburg – Haut et Court
- Spirit Untamed by Elaine Bogan and Ennio Torresan, Jr. (Co-Director) – DreamWorks Animation – Universal Pictures France – Session followed by a live Q&A
- Even Mice Belong in Heaven by Denisa GRIMMOVÁ, Jan BUBENICEK – France, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia – Gebeka
- The Mitchells vs the Machines by Mike RIANDA and Jeff ROWE – USA – SONY PICTURES ANIMATION – Netflix – Session followed by a live Q&A
- Luca, from Pixar Animation Studios, preceded by a live introduction, with director Enrico Casarosa and producer Andrea Warren.
- Coppelia by Jeff TUDOR, Ben TESSEUR, Steven DE BEUL – Germany, Belgium, Netherlands – Urban Distribution International
- Ainbo: Spirit of the Amazon by Richard CLAUS and Jose ZELADA – Netherlands, Peru – Le Pacte
5 short films will be screened for the closing ceremony:
- Jung & Restless by Joanna PRIESTLEY – USA
- Boy Oh Boy by Stephen IRWIN – United Kingdom Flight by Samuel YAL – France
- Blush by Joe MATEO – USA – Skydance Animation – Apple TV+
- Us Again by Zach PARRISH – USA – Walt Disney Animation Studios
The 60th – the screening
A special screening, full of first-times and surprises!
- First time on a big screen: Mémoire d’une minute, a program of one-minute short films on the topic of memory, by 11 Annecy-prizewinning directors. Interwoven on an initiative by Joan C. Gratz, they offer us art ranging from the sentimental to the absurd.
- First screening in 1960: An Award for Mr. Rossi, a short by Bruno Bozzetto in competition at the time! See it again in 2021, still in Annecy!
- World premiere of the Walt Disney Animation Studios short film Far From the Tree, with a pre-recorded intro by director Natalie Nourigat.
- Walt Disney and Kugali animation studios present Iwájú
Speakers: Jennifer Lee, Ziki Nelson, Tolu Olowofoyeku, Hamid Ibrahim, Natalie Nourigat, Marlon West.
- Animation Embodied
Speakers: Signe Baumane, Joanna Quinn, Martina Scarpelli. Moderator: Jayne Pilling.
On the programme, four VIP guided tours right to the heart of the films by the directors and their artistic teams.
- The Boss Baby: Family Business – DreamWorks Animation
- Spirit Untamed – DreamWorks Animation
- Love, Death + Robots – Netflix
- Namoo – Baobab Studios
Through an exclusive glimpse of Evolver – Prologue, a VR experience lead by Terrence Malick (executive producer), produced by Atlas V (France) and Marshmallow Laser Feast (United Kingdom), and in coproduction with Orange – Division XR, this presentation will explore the current state of immersive entertainment through 3 themes: creative potential, technological breakthrough, and spectators expectations.
Find the full detailed programme this way!